Very few things seem to satisfy quite like a fresh, juicy hamburger. The combination of fat, salt, and savory flavors meld forming an exceptional experience for our tummys and our tastebuds. Here are the two keys to enjoying burgers:
1. Eat grass-fed beef from local farms. Industrial animals are loaded with growth hormones, antibiotics, and fed food made with genetically modified organisms. All nasty stuff!
2. Eat small portions as part of a balanced meal. A serving of ground beef is defined by the USDA as 4 ounces - buy a pound of meat an serve 4 people. The picture above has 2 ounces. Plenty!
1 Pound grass-fed 85-90% ground beef
Organic sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and paprika to taste
1. Heat cast-iron skillet with lid over high heat until smoking.
2. Form ground beef into four 4-ounce patties about 1-2" thick
3. Dash salt, pepper, and paprika on both sides of meat to taste
4. Place burgers in pan and cover. Drop heat to low. Cook for 3 minutes. Flip burgers and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
5. Remove burgers from pan and allow to rest 5 minutes. Serve with a heap of veggies, some fruit and some smashed avocado (recipe on blog) or ketchup. Add a whole wheat bun, raw baby spinach, and tomato if you prefer. Or top with sautéed leeks and shrooms (recipe on blog)! Enjoy!